Monday, January 9, 2012

Beet Experiment

Hello everyone!
I wanted to show you all an interesting little experiment: Beet dyed fabric.
Thats right I made boiled beets and saw the pretty red color so I couldn't waste it. I had to do something.

I tried using just the left over water but it didn't dye pink, it dyed a dirty yellow (like the roses). So I put some pulp in there and a little vinegar (changing the PH changes the color) and the color was very bright pink :) then I added baking soda and it turned a dirty yellow again, almost brown and I dyed the flowers which were already kinda creamy yellow but they were brighter. The dye made them look aged :)

The spots you see here and there are little bits of beet skin. You can tell the color is not even on the fabrics and I have no idea why, but that's what happened with my little experiment with natural dyes :) Have any of you ever tried anything similar?

8 comments:

  1. Fun to try new things right Karla!!?? What are you planning to use these craftily made goodies on??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to figure out the new blogger. I do like the new post page. It gives me more options that I had before. Well it shows more options that my computer showed before which I guess doesn't mean those options were there if I knew how to get to them!! LOL I need to take a blogger class! Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so would not have thought about that!

    You asked over on my blog how i find time to get crafty. I have a rule that I rarely break (unless I just have too much work to do) that the last 1.5-2 hours of the day are mine. So, for those couple hours before bed I stop working/homework/etc. I then choose what hobby I will indulge in. Sometimes its playing Warcraft, other times its just reading my blog roll, and sometimes I craft. It allows me to decompress form the day and make sure I keep my sanity through law school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like beetroot, but I'm not sure I'd swoosh my stash in them! These do look good though... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you were having some fun girl! I have tea dyed some paper but I have never tried dying with beets...oh no..you know I am going to have to try it now!...lol!

    Hugs,

    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, only a dedicated scrapper would see the red of boiled beats and want to throw in fabric :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - I've only died dominoes with onion skins. Interesting.
    Hats off to you for trying something different.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!